Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Monday Nov. 1st

Today was an emotional day.  I have been sick with a terrible cough for over a month and now coughing hurts a little more than before.  I feel like I might have a sinus infection, but am hoping that I can fight it off without going to the family doctor.  On top of feeling all around icky today Dantley has his first appointment with the pediatrician, followed by a visit to the OBGYN to be circumcised.   It is a bit odd to me that the OB performs the circumcision, but I guess that is how it is done in this area.

Jake stayed home from work so he could help get the girls off to school and pick Tamsyn up from the bus. He drove me to the pediatrician appointment, but stayed with Trey and Tamsyn in the van while I went in. We figured it would be chaos if we all went in.   I felt a bit uncomfortable with my tiny baby in the waiting room with apparently sick kids also waiting and others bouncing off the walls.

 For this visit we saw Dr. Shore.  He was nice, but I liked the Dr. we had seen in the hospital better, so I asked for her for the next visit.

Dantley weighed 7 lbs 13 oz
He was 20 inches long
He had mild jaundice.

My milk hasn't come in yet, so that is a bit stressful because he is still losing weight.  The Dr. gave me some formula so that if I got too sore I would be able to supplement every other time.

After making a 2 week follow up appointment I headed out to find Jake and go to the next appointment.  Jake was going to take Dantley in himself, but after he went in I realized that he had left the diaper bag, so we decided to all go in.  It was a good thing I did, because not only did we need the extra diapers I also needed to feed Dantley after the surgery to help comfort him.   We had to wait until a full hour had passed since he had last nursed before Dr. Oxford could begin.  Then I left him with the nurse and went out to the waiting room.   When they called me back in Dantley wasn't crying, but after trying to nurse him for a while he started to kick and scream and get frantic.  When the time had passed for the nurse to come back and check him, the bleeding hadn't stopped so we had to wait longer.  It was terrible because Dantley just kept screaming and writhing like he was in pain when she tried to get the bandage back on. When Trey had been circumcised it was completely different because they put some sort of band on that fell off after time and it seemed like an almost painless procedure.  This other method seemed incredibly painful and had me worried the rest of the day because it looked like it hurt as well.

That night we had Family Home Evening.  The kids were excited that it was Dantley's first one.  Natasha insisted that we sing the welcome song to him like they do in primary.  Jake made the pumpkin cookies that I had planned on making days ago, and Tamsyn taught the lesson all by herself.  She decided that the topic was art and told us that "art isn't just to make money, it is for fun."  Jake did a nice job of making it actually have a lesson by talking about talents and how when we do things that we enjoy we can increase our talents. (or something like that -- I'll have to ask him to help me paraphrase it better).

No comments:

Post a Comment